Preparing students for the next stage in their education
CAISL provides students and families with support and guidance through the complex array of post-secondary education options that are available.
CAISL College Counseling Philosophy
CAISL uses a ‘best fit’ approach, encouraging a student-driven and parent-informed decision process as a result of a well-researched examination of institutions and self-reflection about their values, needs and aptitudes. We strive to ensure the transition from the CAISL community to their new learning environment is as smooth as possible.
Through one-on-one discussions, group information sessions, and parental involvement, we help our students discover what they want out of the next part of their life-long educational journey so that they can achieve the best personal and academic results.
The CAISL College Counseling program serve to support our school mission and value statements. Additionally, we adhere to the ethical standards established by internationally recognized professional associations of college and university counselors and admission officers
Some of the work developed during the course of the four years of College Counseling (Grades 9 - 12):
Selecting where to apply
- Learn about different university systems in dedicated college counseling sessions,
- Research on courses and programs, to come up with a final university list appropriate to goals,
- Participate in visits from admissions representatives and other CAISL outreach programs such as career fairs and meetings with alumni.
Work on the application
- Students brainstorm ideas for their personal statements and essays,
- Discuss the various parts of university applications,
- Meet with the counselor to consider summer plans and strategize,
- Write their essays with feedback from the counselor,
- Complete the applications to the schools of their choice.
CAISL students take a course of study which leads to the American High School Diploma. With the American High School Diploma graduates can enter university in Portugal, UK, USA, and universities around the world.
CAISL also offers the IB Diploma Program which permits entry into universities around the world.
A CAISL student may study for and achieve two internationally valid Diplomas which can be used strategically to apply for college.
CAISL is a student-centered educational community in which we challenge ourselves and each other to do our best and to make positive contributions to our diverse and ever-changing world.
CAISL is an approved testing center for College Board (PSAT, SAT and AP) and ACT exams.