Applications are welcomed anytime of the year.
As an international school, CAISL has students entering and leaving at all points during the school year.
We have “rolling admissions” which means that students can be accepted and can enter at any point in the school year. Ideally, for ease of academic and social transition, entry at the beginning of an academic “quarter” or the “semester” is ideal but not required. Learn all about the application process.
Applications will only be reviewed when complete.
CAISL Requires the following information for an application to be considered:
- The APPLICATION FORM. (Request a paper form if you cannot use the linked online version.)
- Previous SCHOOL RECORDS. Three years are required - the current, and the previous two, unless the child is very young and doesn't have three years of school records yet. If the records are in any other language they need to be translated to English or Portuguese.
- OTHER INFORMATION. If such exist, copies of current or most recent educational-psychological testing and/or individual educational plans must also be submitted.
Please note: Early Childhood applicants must be three years old before September 1st to apply to EC3, 4 to apply to EC4, and so forth up to Grade 1, by which students need to be 6 by September 1st. Applicants must also be fully potty trained and be able to feed themselves using a fork and spoon.
What happens after the application?
Decisions on whether or not to admit a child are made by a team consisting of a member of the Admissions Team, the Elementary or Secondary Principal (as appropriate), and the Director. Other specialists (Learning Support/Special Needs, English for Speakers of Other Languages, International Baccalaureate Coordinator, School Nurse, for example) are part of the decision as needed. Communication about applications and the decisions are via the Admissions Team.
In considering the application for admission, the decision is based on two factors:
Children whose complete application package has been reviewed and are “eligible for admission” but with no space in the grade or the program needed, may, at parent’s request, be put in the Wait Pool for the school year they are applying into. Applications are not automatically considered for the school year after and an update will be requested by the admissions team, should the family still be interested in a spot.
It is impossible to predict when or if a place will become available.
When space becomes available in a particular grade and/or program, the applications of every child in the Wait Pool are reconsidered and offers are made based on the academic/behavioral records submitted.
An additional factor in making enrollment offers is the list of priorities below:
- Current CAISL re-enrolling students
- Students whose parents are US Government employees.
- Students who are coming from American or American International Schools.
- Students who are coming from schools whose primary language of instruction is English.
- Students who come from bilingual schools or are linguistically unable to attend a school whose instructional language is Portuguese.
- Students who are linguistically able to attend a school whose instructional language is Portuguese.